Sunday 3 November 2019

Coming Good

Well, this week has been a struggle, but I think I am finally turning a corner, I felt almost human today.

This cold, or whatever I have been suffering from, has been a real pain for the last week or so. I am not sure, but I suspect it was my body chucking a tantrum about too many late nights, too much training and not enough recovery. I know I certainly push my luck when it comes to sleep etc and so my body was bound to get sick of it eventually. Last week it really just felt like my body fell in a heap and couldn't dig its way out, culminating in a day off training on Wednesday and a day off work on Thursday.

Finally though, after quite a bit of catch up sleep over the last few nights I think I am starting to come good. My HRV has been back in the green for the last two days and I generally have more energy, have a clearer head and feel a lot closer to normal than I have. I still don't feel quite 100% and so I will be taking care to keep the good sleep habits going, but I think I am on the right path.

The interrupted week last week was pretty frustrating from a training perspective. As I wrote during the week, I have been keen to get back to training as I have a number of races coming up in the next three to four weeks. Still, there is nothing I can do about the week that has been. Water under the bridge as they say. I have had a good couple of sessions over the last two days and now that things seem to be on the up the best thing I can do is focus forward and get on with it. As I tell my athletes,  a few days of training lost to illness is only a blip in the bigger picture. It always seems like a big deal at the time, but a month later you can barely remember that you were ever ill.

Being sick or injured is never very much fun and from my experience it never gets easier. All you can do is be sensible, do the right things to speed up recovery and then get back to it once your body is sorted. Now that my body seems to be getting over this cold I am very keen to get on with that final step.




No comments:

Post a Comment