Thursday 1 March 2018

All fine

Well that all went fine. Turns out that coaching today all went pretty well.

As I said yesterday I wasn't too worried about the bike session this morning. The ride went pretty well with a tough but fair workout for everyone involved. 3 x 20 minutes at around 90% FTP is a pretty classic sort of Tempo session. Hard, but perfect 70.3 preparation. All smooth sweaty sailing there.

As I mentioned yesterday, the run tonight was the session that I was more concerned about. The first session with a new squad was something that I wanted to get right and so I was a little bit nervous about it.

The session didn't get off to a great start with running track being closed when I got there (athletics event on). Not a great way to begin, but to be honest it wasn't a complete disaster as I knew that track closure was a risk heading in. Because I knew that the track might be closed I had planned the session it would work on either the track or in a nearby park, which is exactly what we did.

In the end the session went really well, or at least I think it did anyway. The session was a fairly standard example of a threshold session, 8 x 2 minutes threshold with 1 minute in between done at Tempo. Mixed paces, but no moments of really low intensity, classic stuff. All up 24 minutes of good solid work. Combined with a nice warm up, some dynamic stretching, some drills and a warm down  the session was a nice 75 minute of work.

We had a decent group attending, about 30 people, and I think most of them had a satisfying and hopefully enjoyable session (in that strange way that a hard session can be enjoyable). I know I certainly had a good time. For me it felt like the session ticked a lot of boxes all around, hopefully everybody else felt something similar.

Having this first session done and dusted has given me a good bit of confidence heading into future sessions with the squad in coming weeks. Hopefully next week the track will be open too which should make the session a bit easier to manage. The track is a less familiar environment for me, so running a session there will bring its own challenges, however, after tonight I am just that bit more confident with that proposition. In fact I would almost say I am looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment