Thursday 15 February 2018

Something else new

Another new experience today. Today I went to the running track. Not to worry, I wasn't running, but rather I was there to do some learning.

In a couple of weeks I am going to start helping out one of the local triathlon clubs by coaching a weekly track running session for them. However, I am quite conscious of my lack of track knowledge. While I am relatively comfortable coaching run sessions, the track is something that is pretty new to me. Hence my visit tonight.

For tonight I was really just down there watching the session and getting a feel for how it works. It is a pretty popular session for the club (over 30 attendees tonight) and I don't want to disrupt that for them when I take over in early March. In order to make the transition as smooth as possible I thought I would head down and get familiar with the session, how it runs, what it often contains etc. It will be good to go down again next week to see another session, but even after tonight I am feeling a lot more comfortable.

The session itself was a good one to see, short, sharp and pretty tough for the folks who did it. Lots of 200m intervals with short rests, getting the group moving at a high pace for a sustained period. It sure had everyone hurting by the end. I am definitely looking forward to heading down to the session again next week and learning a bit more.

While I didn't do the track session, it wasn't like I didn't run at all though. Before the track session I headed out for a bit of a run myself. The run was actually shorter and slower than the one I did on Tuesday, but it was about 1000 times harder. Okay, perhaps not 1000 times, but it sure hurt more than the Tuesday run, it is amazing what a bit of cumulative fatigue can do. As well as the run on Tuesday I was also on the bike yesterday. All up this slight increase in training means that by the time I got to running today the legs were carrying a lot of fatigue. Tired legs combined with a very hot afternoon meant that the run was extra painful.

Still it was great to get out running again for a second time this week, backing up the session from Tuesday. Not sure when the legs are going to be up for the next run, but it definitely won't be too long away.

No comments:

Post a Comment