Monday 26 February 2018

Epic achievements

I think it says something about your priorities in life when the amount of sleep you get is a particular highlight. Some might say that it points to a rather boring set of life choices, but I would prefer to think it means that I am conserving energy for the activities that I love most. Either way, man, my sleep last night was epic, the sort of  things that ballads are written about. In fact perhaps that is what I will start working on after this.

My epic night of sleeping got off to a solid start when I headed to bed around 8:30pm. I had already done a exemplary job of falling asleep during my children's bedtime stories and so I was kind of on a roll. After that it felt logical to seize the  moment and move straight to sleeping proper. 

Heading to bed so early meant that getting an immense amount of sleep was child's play. Even getting up at 4:30am meant that I got something in the vicinity of 7 and a half hours sleep, which for me is unheard of. It was simply divine. 

My drive for more sleep this week is really in reaction to some very poor sleeping habits last week. I don't think I got more than 7 hours sleep once last night. Most nights I would say I was closer to 6 and a half hours sleep than 7. Lots of people think they function well on that much sleep, but I would question that. If you function well on 6 hours sleep, I would almost guarantee you will function better on 7. I know I definitely need at least 7 hours each night. Certainly after a sustained period of insufficient sleep I was really struggling last week, by Friday I was almost in a zombie state. Not good. 

After last week I am pretty determined to get more sleep this week. It sounds like a minor thing, but it really can make a massive difference to quality of life, particularly if that life contains a lot of exercise. It is one of those contributing factors that is often underestimated. 

Now, time to go. I have a ballad to write before getting a bit more sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment