Sunday 24 December 2017

T'was the Night Before

I just noticed that the title for the post I wrote last night called Adjustments was spelled wrong. I had to adjust the spelling. Oh the irony.

Anyway, here we are, Christmas Eve. T'was the night before Christmas and all through the house were the squeals of two children who were so excited that it wasn't funny.

We have had a pretty cruisy Christmas Eve in our house. Lots of time with family and generally playing around outside, which I guess is what Christmas in Australia is really about. It has been a great day, albeit quite a tiring one.

Tomorrow is likely to be more of the same in our house. More family, more outside time and more food. All those things should be awesome, although it is the last point that is going to need the most care.

Christmas is one of those times were it is nearly impossible to avoid at least some bad food choices.
Typically there are just too many meals that are outside of your control, plus the quantities can get a bit out of control. Poor eating combined with lower amounts of training can lead to athletes feeling a bit guilt ridden during Christmas.

As I have posted about before, I am a believer in letting yourself enjoy Christmas. As I said at the start of this blog, Christmas can be a great time to spend time with family, get out and enjoy some of the great outdoors that we have in Australia. However, for most athletes, being able to maintain a bit of self control over the Christmas period will prevent unwanted weight gain as well as helping them feel generally better about themselves. Keeping a bit of focus on the bigger picture, remembering what they are trying to achieve and what they need to do to achieve it can lead to a great, positive start to the new year.

Still, as I always say, life must come first and so everything I say above is more of a guideline than a rule.

Despite those guidelines I am pretty sure my day is going to involve a bit of overeating, some relaxing and a whole lot of enjoyment. Which is really the point. I think if a Christmas can include those things, then I consider it to be pretty successful. Although if I am lucky and the day includes a bit of exercise then that would be pretty okay too.

Whatever the day brings, it should be a whole lot of fun.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment