Saturday 23 December 2017

Adjustments

Today was yet another day that required an adjustment.

I did some exercise today. All up it was great, I really enjoyed it, session went well and I felt fine. In general I am really enjoying being able to do a bit more exercise again. It isn't much, but it is enough. Well usually it is. Today what I really wanted was to do a bit more exercise.

The thing is that I know I can't do too much exercise. The limitation on my exercise is partly to do with the advice from my cardiologist and partly because trying to do too much exercise too quickly is a good way to get bad results quickly. It is simply common sense that when returning to exercise you need to be sensible in order for the return to be a sustainable one. Doing more exercise today would have been a good example of not being sensible.

Deep down I knew all these things, but the problem was that I really wanted to go out and do more exercise, it was going to be fun and it had been something I had been looking forward to for a few days.

In the end I didn't go out and do the extra bit of exercise that I had been hoping to do. The adjustment I had to make was that of my expectations. While I suspect I am fit enough to have done the extra exercise, the little bit of good sense that I have was telling me to take it easy today. More exercise may come with time, but for now I have definite limits and deep down I knew today that I needed to stick within them.

For somebody who used to do rather large amounts of exercise not too long ago, the idea of having to moderate what I do does not come that easily. However, I think I am getting better at making these adjustments to my expectations and my mindset. Practice makes perfect I guess. Well hopefully anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment