Sunday 31 December 2017

2017

So here we are, the end of the year. Given I have already fallen asleep once this evening I think there is very little chance that I will make it until Midnight. But still, what would the end of a year be without a little bit of reflection.

What can I say about 2017? Well it is a bit early to tell at the moment, but it could go down as a year in which some fairly major changes in my life occurred. It was certainly a very transitional year, full of big shifts. In fact I think it would be fair to say that this year has included some of the biggest life changing moments that I have experienced for a few years. 

Moments like:

  • Being told by Doctors that I shouldn't race anymore;
  • Giving up my Professional Racing License
  • Gaining my Triathlon Australia Development Coach qualification
  • Starting work at Front Runner Sports
  • Coaching my first athlete.
Just to name a few.


Certainly, 2017 was a year in which a lot of things happened. Really the above bullet points be boiled down to a fairly simply summary. 2017 was the year I moved from athlete to coach. At the start of the year I was a Professional Triathlete coming off a good race and really looking forward to what was ahead. Now as I sit here at the end of the year I am no longer a Professional Triathlete, I am a qualified Triathlon Coach and I have several athletes to whom I give guidance.

Is this transition from athlete to coach something that I am happy about? Well if I am honest, it was not a change that I would have chosen, at least not right now, but I suspect as time goes on it will be a change that is for the better.

The changes that have come about in 2017 have taken a lot of getting used to, but I think now that I sit here at the end of the year they are changes that are settling in. As I said at the start, there is a chance that the changes that occurred this year end up being life changing. Now that I have started coaching, it is hard to know exactly where it may lead, sitting here, on the brink of 2018, I am excited to find out though.

Looking forward to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment