Monday 1 January 2018

Not Resolutions

I have never been one for New Year's resolutions, so I am not going to start now, however, given it is the 1st of January today, I thought it couldn't hurt to think about some things that I am going to focus on this year.

First up, the obvious one, coaching. For me this year of coaching is going to be one of consolidation. Last year was all about setting up and this year is taking that and growing, not so much in numbers but in knowledge and experience. Ultimately I would like to get my Triathlon Australia Performance Coach qualification, but that requires 2 years of coaching as a pre-requisite,which won't be until 2019 for me. I see the time between now and then as a time to grow experience and competence so that when I meet the criteria for the Performance Coaching I am also ready in terms of ability.

Also from a coaching perspective it would be great to help some athletes achieve their goals and dreams. So really my coaching goal for this year is to try and do a good job while also getting better at it. Shouldn't be too hard right?

Another area of focus for me in 2018 will be my health. On the health side of things the obvious area is my heart. Investigations into my heart will continue this year and will hopefully start to give me some direction on what the rest of my life might look like. Hopefully the results point to regular exercise being the norm, but really time will tell.

While it sounds like a cliche, another area of my health that I would like to focus on this year is my weight. Since stopping regular training my weight has increased to the point that I am no longer happy with it. During 2018 my plan is to do something about it. No fads or crash diets here, just more exercise, which I have been given permission to do by Dr Stobie. Hopefully by bringing a bit more exercise back to my day to day routine it will also help bring the weight under a bit more control. Once again time will tell on that one.

The last area I am hoping to focus on for 2018 is exercise. Some of this one will have to wait as the above goal around my heart is resolved, but at the moment it is looking like regular exercise may be possible. If more exercise is the norm, then this year I want to establish what that looks like and then start getting into that routine. Perhaps even figure out is some form of racing is possible. Daring thoughts indeed.

In the end, these plans may come to fruition or they may not, I guess that is the thing with plans (whether they are called resolutions or not). Whatever it brings, I am certainly looking forward to seeing what 2018 has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment