Thursday 19 November 2015

Thursdayitis

Solid bout of Thursdayitis today. I had this last week and I am most certainly feeling it again.

For me the main symptoms of Thursdayitis is the overwhelming desire to not go running after work.

It is like this. I work part time, but I still work. And I, just like everybody else, can't always find the motivation to get myself out for a 16 to 20km run after a day at work. I have no injury, or illness, I just can't find the will to put on the shoes and walk out the door. I wish it was different, but the reality is that it isn't. This isn't an every time deal obviously, I got out running Tuesday afternoon for instance, but some days (particularly towards the end of the week) the effort is just too hard. In the end we are all human I guess.

However, often the difference between a fast person and a slow person on race day is their ability to get themselves out the door when they are feeling Thursdayitis. Simple as that. No magic bullets, just consistent training. Train consistently and going fast will take care of itself. This is a lesson I took to heart many years ago when I was a rower and I have held close to my heart ever since. I don't have a lot of talent when it comes to sport, but I am A-grade stubborn. If I woke up tomorrow and decided that it was a good day to have a motto, 'Train Consistently and Intelligently' would be it. So whilst I am feeling a solid bout of Thursdayitis right now, it won't be defeating me.

Last week I ran on Friday morning instead of Thursday night and I may end up doing something similar this week. Or I may get out the door tonight. I am not sure yet. What I do know is that the training will get done. This may just be a sport, but it is a sport that I have committed a lot to. It is also a sport that I have committed to doing to the best of my ability. All this means that the training will get done, that is what it is for.

We all feel that urge to just let it slip. Sometimes that little voice in the head telling you to skip the session, stay in bed, stay on the couch gets very loud. Unfortunately having a bit of paper saying you are now a 'pro' doesn't make that voice stop, although I really wish it did.

The trick is having a second, even louder voice saying, 'This is why you do this. Now stop talking and go'.

I guess I better listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment