Wednesday 18 November 2015

Happy thoughts

There is a feeling that comes with walking out of swim training on Wednesday morning. That lovely feeling that comes with knowing that you are done for the day. Yep it might only be 7:30 in the morning, but after a 5km swim set the rest of the day is always going to be a breeze.

Solid swim this morning. Like they always are. You know it is a hard session when you get to the end of 4.5km and realise you have barely drunk any of your water, simply because you haven't had a chance. It was that kind of session today. Nothing soul destroying, just relentless.

500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m. 1000m effort. 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m. 12 x 50m

 Long stuff, short stuff, in between stuff. Today had it all.

Still I got through, some it only barely, and I got to enjoy that lovely euphoria that comes with getting a good session finished well. And also knowing that you have the afternoon off. That might just be the best bit of all.

Of course when I say afternoon off, I never really mean the afternoon off. Every evening I do about an hour or so of strength work and stretching. Have done for years now. The strength alternates between core, Pilate's type stuff and lower body length strength type stuff. Not weights or anything (my days of pumping iron are behind me) rather the exercises are various body weight based ones given to me over the years by different physios. Things designed to help stave off injury. Calf raises, lunges, glute activation things like that. Tonight is leg strength stuff, which is always the longer, but slightly less painful of the two routines.

Other than that my evening is my own to do what I want with.

Sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment