Sunday 22 November 2015

Taper Time

Here we are again. The work is officially done, the last big session logged. Now it is time to rest up and start the taper.

Today was the the last day of solid training in this three week block and it sure was a doozy. A good solid brick session just to finish things off, 70 minutes on the Kickr, 14km of running off it.

Heading into the session I was a little unsure just how it would go. I still felt like I was carrying quite a lot of fatigue from yesterday's solid TTathon and so I wasn't expecting miracles. To add to the fatigue the Kickr session was one that involved a number of low rpm, high power intervals. A muscle loading special.

All the concern was for nought though, because once I got the mind into gear the rest of the body came with it. The bike session was painful, but achievable, sort of like it is supposed to be. The run though was the real highlight. I started out on the run with every intention of sitting at a good comfy tempo pace and ticking through it for two 7km laps. I was being particularly mindful of the pacing because there was a block headwind blowing straight from the bowels of hell on the return leg of each lap and I didn't want to be hitting the wall and fighting the wind at the same time.

However, despite my intentions of sitting on what I currently consider to be my tempo pace, I found the run actually ended up quite a bit quicker. Probably one of the quicker 14km I have done off the bike. And it wasn't just the speed that was good, it was how it felt. The headwind sections were tough, and lifting the pace for the final 4km (into the wind) was also painful, but on the whole the running just felt plain good. This was reflected by my average heart rate and a few the other running metrics all which point to it being a good controlled run leg.

Running has been feeling really good of late and this brick session is just the latest reflection of that. I still have a long way to go with running in comparison to most of the guys that I am racing, but it is reassuring to be making some steps forward.

Besides the brick session, I also spent a bit of time putting in a few swimming miles down the river. I didn't get to my usual swim session yesterday due to child care responsibilities, so it was good to be able to fit a swim in today. I also wanted a chance to spend a bit of time in my swimskin in some open water, since chances are it will not be a wetsuit legal swim in Sydney next week. It was a proper little open water session with a good chop and plenty of boat washes to contend with. A good chance to practice some uncomfortable swimming.

Now that I have the tough work behind me and a week of recovery ahead, I have to say that I have never felt more ready to race than I do right now. Western Sydney 70.3 has a large and very talented pro field and my expectations for the race are realistic. I am not expecting miracles. However, I am also very excited to get out there for this one. A large and very talented pro field means plenty of guys to work off and with. Combined with how I am feeling right now, I am hopeful of putting together a good day. 

Now for some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment