Monday 23 November 2015

Prep time

Into full taper mode today. Sleep in this morning, no training today. All the little typical race prep routines are underway. Haircut and shave down yesterday, packing list and race nutrition plan finalised this afternoon. Probably start packing my bike and then getting some stretching done in a minute. Slowly moving towards racing on Sunday.

I am a big creature of habit when it comes to racing away. No matter how much I do it, I take great comfort from everything being organised, in its place and ready to go. That is part of the reason I start prepping for my trips several days in advance. When it comes to travel I hate surprises.

Of course taper isn't all about sitting around eating chocolate and watching TV (that's how you do it right?), still some training going on. Tomorrow will contain a bit, including a spin on the Kickr in the morning and a light run in the afternoon. Keeping the body moving, honing all that hard earned fitness to a nice edge. Well that is the plan anyway.

The other thing I want to do better this time around is rest up. Last few trips I always seemed to be getting to bed late every night leading into the race, despite the fact that I was, theoretically at least, doing less each night. For whatever reason doing less always took a long time each night. This time around my aim is to avoid that. Whilst I like being prepared early, I don't have to have it all done today. My mantra this trip is let is go and do it tomorrow (if there is time). Early to bed, a proper night's sleep each night leading up to the race. Giving myself every opportunity.

Little things like that will hopefully make for a smooth lead up to the race on Sunday.

But for now, some packing and some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment