Friday 22 November 2019

Racing

Far out, this sure is an intense race period, for both myself and the athletes.

On a personal level I have a bunch of paddle races going on at the moment. There is an event going on in Perth at the moment called WA Race Week. Basically this is a series of paddle events that go all week. On top of that, there are actually more events next week. All up it means 6 races in about two weeks for me. Phew.

Obviously not all those races can be A races, it would wear you out too much to even try. For me the race last night, and another one on Saturday the 31st will be the key ones. All the other events are glorified training sessions and that is how I am approaching them.

The race last night was pretty good. I came 6th by about 6 seconds. It would have been nice to come 5th and there were a few mistakes and pieces of bad luck that means things could have easily gone the other way. but I learned long ago to not obsess too much about that. What is past is past and the day unfolded the way it did. To become too fixated on bad luck and mistakes is a fast way to become pretty miserable. Besides the 6 seconds though I had a pretty good race, not too many other things I would have done differently, so you have to be happy with that.



The next 'race' is tomorrow, which is a 27km crossing from Rottnest Island to the mainland. This is less of a race and more of an adventure. Safely getting from the start line to the finish line will be the key task of the day, and with any luck I might have a bit of fun too. Fingers crossed.

On the athlete side of things, obviously Busso is just over a week away now and so things are getting into serious mode for most of the athletes. I have one athlete doing his first Ironman and then a number doing the 70.3. Serious stuff.

My advice for all these athletes has been the same, while race time is soon, keep focused on what you are doing today, and tomorrow and the day after etc. I always used to find in race week that I was entirely focused on race day and I found it hard to concentrate and get motivated for the training I was doing that day. While race week training sessions won't build any fitness, they are still important sessions for getting you moving, keeping the mind focused, the body fresh etc. I tell my athletes to take a moment to think about each session in race week, remember why you are doing it, what it is for and then get on with it. Put the race out your mind during the session and be in the moment. Plenty of time to be thinking about the race outside of training.

Besides that, I have been having plenty of conversations about race day, all those last minute questions about how race day works, what to expect, race plans, contingency plans etc. Preparation, preparation, preparation is my motto. Be prepared and don't create problems for yourself. the goal for the days leading up to race day should be stress minimization. No surprises.

Speaking of preparation, the inevitable weather checking has already begun by the racers. Currently it isn't looking great for the 1st of December, which of course raises more questions. My response to my athletes when they ask about weather is always the same. First up, nine days out is way to early to be thinking about weather. Secondly, I am happy for athletes to look at the weather on two conditions:

  • they are using it to help them prepare their nutrition plans and race plan; and
  • they aren't going to let it panic them. 

If they can do those things then I am happy to chat about weather.

Yep, it sure is all go around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment