Saturday 30 November 2019

Busso Eve

First post in a week. Apologies for that. A month or two ago I realised that I could no longer sustain my daily blog routine, there were just too many other demands on life and something had to give. I am still figuring out what a sustainable blogging routine is. Not sure what the answer is yet, but something I am working on.

Anyway, here I am now and what a time it is, the night before Busso Ironman and Half Ironman. Very exciting.

I have 5 athletes racing tomorrow, it was supposed to be 6, but I had one pull out last minute with a few niggles. In that group I have a few experienced athletes, one first timer, a second timer and a debut Ironman. Pretty eclectic.

For most of my athletes priority one is having a good day. Don't plan a result I tell my athletes, rather plan a race. Put together a race plan, race smart, pace well etc and the result takes care of itself. So with that in mind, tomorrow is all about process.

Having said that, all the athletes have all had pretty good training blocks so I am hopeful of potential PBs, although there is a bit of a question mark over the weather, so we shall see. It could potentially be a warm one tomorrow, which could slow things down. Still, everybody has done the training that they need to and so hopefully though the weather doesn't go above the high 20s and everybody has a good fun day out there. Fingers crossed. I will certainly be watching closely.

Away from my athletes, the pro race in the Ironman should be very interesting. There is a massive pro field this year, with 30 athletes registered in the men (including one Alistair Brownlee) and 19 in the women. That is one of the biggest fields I can remember.

I am not going to make any predictions tonight, but obviously Brownlee is going to be one to watch. Some very talented athletes to give him a push, but he is Alistair Brownlee, so you would never discount him. A good number of local athletes in the pro field too, so hopefully they can put together good races and perhaps even some top results. In particular on my local watch list are Matt Burton and Justin Ghosh in the men and Emily Loughnan in the women. Both fields have some proper international talent though, so really the race could go anywhere. Which I guess is part of the fun.

Should be a great one to watch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment