Sunday 21 April 2019

Something old

Something of a blast from the past today, I actually went for an open water swim. Not only did I go for an open water swim, but I did it in a wetsuit. I don't think I have done that for years.

The prompt to go swim in the river on one of the colder morning's of the year was a mate of mine who asked me to go. Sometimes those reasons are all you need. Being one of the coldest morning's of the year so far, there was no way I was going without my wetsuit, although to be honest the river isn't actually that cold yet. My extreme softness for wearing a wetsuit was even pointed out by a little old lady down by the river who herself had been swimming in the river in the dark at 5:00am in preparation for a coming crossing of the English Channel. Way to be put in my place. Still I am glad I had it, even it was just because it helped me keep up with my mate who is currently swimming very well.

I haven't actually swum at all for about 2 months, so given that I was very pleasantly surprised by how the swim went. To be honest I would just have been happy to survive the 3km open water swim, but it was actually pretty quick. It can be easy to forget the power of a good wetsuit, but I was certainly reminded today. 3000m at about 1:23min/km, I will take that very happily if you don't mind, even if it was wetsuit enhanced. Shows the power of good cross training as I think the swimming has been maintained somewhat by my paddle training.

The swim was so nice that I am actually keen to do some more. The river was a reasonable temperature, the water quality outstanding and the swimming feeling okay. What was there not to like. Not sure I will still be in the river when the real winter temperatures kick in and the river drops down to around 15 degrees, but happy to make the most of it until then.

Nice to try new things, even if they are actually old things in disguise.




No comments:

Post a Comment