Tuesday 23 April 2019

Run, run

A good bit of a run tonight, 10km to be exact. One of the longer runs I have done in a while. Certainly nothing crazy, but I am happy with it. Basically we were having dinner at a friends house tonight and so I decided to run there, it was 10km away so I was either going to run 10km or go hungry. Going hungry was never really an option so 10km of running it was.

It was a very nice run, along the river, light tail wind, cool temperature, pretty sunset, one of those evenings that makes being outside for exercise a real pleasure. One of the nicer things about autumn in Perth. I suspect I may feel the run in the morning but at the moment I have zero regrets. Very nice way to spend an evening.

There is a good chance that this week will actually end up being a bit run heavy. With another long weekend on the horizon in Australia we are about to embark on a long weekend family camping adventure. These sorts of outings are usually exhausting enough, so I am not going to be holding myself to any particularly onerous exercise routine, but I will be hoping to get in some runs while we are away. Besides being a convenient way to do exercise nearly anywhere, the place we are camping would appear to have a good range of trails nearby and I suspect they will be begging to be run on.

I haven't done any trail running for a long time, but I always used to enjoy it, particularly in autumn when it is cool without being wet. A great way to cover distance without really feeling like you are running for a long time and a lot more gentle on the body. Plus the additional strength benefits that come from trail running as your body automatically makes countless micro adjustments to keep you upright. A fun and enjoyable way to build fitness and also resilience. At Front Runner we are big advocates of the advantages of trail running for obvious reasons. Besides all that, I also find that getting out and running can be a pretty good way to get out and see a place. Faster than walking, but slow enough that you can still get a feel for a place. So anyway, pretty keen to get out on the trails if I have a chance. Might make for a few running miles this week, but I suspect it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment