Tuesday 24 July 2018

Skills and Confidence

Riding went well this morning. Thankfully the rain held off, although we weren't lucky enough to get dry roads too. While the roads were wet, they weren't soaking, enough to make the bikes all a bit grubby and the roads a bit slippery, but not so much that we ended soaked ourselves. I'll take that as an acceptable middle ground for this time of year.

As expected being back on the TT bike was a little unusual. I would be lying if I said that the wet roads added to my comfort levels. In reality I spent a fair bit of time riding on the base bar. However, I did manage to get a bit of time on the aerobars and once I was there it did feel a bit like I had never left. I guess over the years I have spent so much time on the aerobars that it should be no surprise that they feel comfortable when I return. However, with the winding, wet roads we were on I didn't feel comfortable enough to spend as much time in the aerobars as I would have liked. 

Unfortunately I am still a bit of a nancy when it comes to bike handling in wet weather. I probably don't ride enough these days to really build the bike confidence and the skills and so as a result I tend to be pretty hesitant when the roads get damp. At the moment my natural preference sits on the side of making sure I get through the entire ride, rather than pushing the corners.

Of course there is something to be said of having the skills and confidence to handle a bike well. Tangible benefits can be seen in racing for those that don't lose speed unnecessarily in corners and down hills. You just have to watch any major bike race or mountainous triathlon to see that those that slow down least can big gaps.

Of course building the skills and confidence to ride fast on a technical course takes time and it is always a fragile creature. One big crash and you can easily see that confidence evaporate. For myself I erred on the side of caution in my racing, preferring to lose a bit of speed but definitely make it to the finish line. Others I know sit firmly on the other side of the fence, which has worked for them sometimes, but also backfired spectacularly, resulting in nasty crashes, at other times.

Where that line of bike handling comfort sits varies from person to person and there isn't really a right or wrong answer. However, what can be said with confidence is that taking time to build skills and confidence on the bike has never made anyone slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment