Monday 18 June 2018

As a dog

 I am not particularly well at the moment. There has been a bit of a cold travelling through our house and now it is my turn. I started off not feeling that bad this morning but over the course of the day I have slowly degenerated into full man flu. It is not yet 7:30pm and I am currently sitting in bed planning to head to bed as soon as I finish this.

Besides the feeling of general rubbishness, I have also this little fun fact to confirm my sickliness.


This is my average HR over the course of today, you will see that my average resting HR today has been 46. That seems okay I hear you say, but the thing is that my average resting HR is usually 40, or perhaps slightly below. Plus, while Garmin says the average HR is 46 it has actually been sitting up above 60 since lunch time. In fact it is up at 62 while I sit here in bed typing this. Strenuous activity it is not. Yep, no doubt about it I am not feeling particularly well.

So what do I do about it.

Well besides sit and feel miserable my main aim for right now is rest. It is my aim to be heading to bed around 8:00pm and getting enough sleep to bother the dead. Unfortunately I need to coach in the morning, which means no sleep in, so I want to get enough sleep that I will be happy to be getting up at 4:30am. Once I am at coaching I will be doing it from the side of the road, not from the back of the bike that's for sure.

Besides getting a bunch of sleep I also intend to rest up as much as possible. Work tomorrow is questionable and I certainly have not trained today nor will I plan to train tomorrow. Knocking this cold over hard and fast will hopefully mean I am starting to feel a bit more human as the week progresses.

I am not involved in any serious training these days so I have no pressure to force myself out the door to get training done. I am more than happy to sit at home and rest up until I feel better. However, even when I was training I would usually err on the side of resting when I got sick like I am now. To be perfectly honest the idea of doing exercise is currently so far from my mind that it is a little ridiculous. As I start getting better the question of whether or not I should train will become more earnest, but for now the answer is an obvious one, rest, rest, rest until I start to feel just a little bit more human. That is exactly what I will be doing today. I did a bit of exercise yesterday and felt absolutely rubbish, at least I now know why.

This illness is a little bit frustrating because I have just had about two weeks off and I am keen to get on with things, like I said the other day I have a race I want to do well at in about 6 weeks time. However, getting frustrated because I am too ill to train is a fairly pointless exercise. I am much better off spending my efforts getting better than wishing that I wasn't sick in the first place. There will still be plenty of time for exercise once I am well, my timeline belongs to nobody but myself and the only person putting pressure on me to train is me. Time to take that pressure off.

No comments:

Post a Comment