Tuesday 3 April 2018

Running Day

A touch more of the running thing today, in fact today's run was another PB for distance, well PB since I stopped racing anyway.

My PB was a whopping 11.2km, which isn't all that far, but was quite enough for me right now thank you very much. Last week I ran over 10km for the first time in about 6 months and today I was keen to do a little bit more, but I didn't want to over do it. I figured 11km was a nice middle ground. I think the next milestone will be running for an hour, but that could be a little while off. I only run two times a week at the moment and so my total mileage isn't that high. Trying to run too far, too soon will just be a good way to injure myself, even today my hamstring was letting me know that I was pushing my luck, so some care is required.

One thing I need to improve with the running is my intensity control. With no real plan to my runs they usually follow the pattern or starting off steady and then gradually increasing in intensity until I am working pretty hard at the end. That sort of progressive run has its place, but you don't want to be doing it every session as it can be quite taxing on the body.

Really I need to get back in the habit of targeting my runs. Threshold sessions are probably not a great idea these days, but certainly making one run a long steady one and another run more of a tempo workout probably isn't a bad idea. Having a purpose to the sessions and targeting them accordingly will make the training both more sustainable and more effective. Adding some structure to the runs also makes them a bit more interesting and enjoyable.

The running is certainly a bit of a work in progress, however, so far I am pretty happy with how it is coming along. To be running over 10km again and to be holding an okay(ish) pace for it is a good place to be for me. I am not sure what my final target is for running, but hopefully there is a little bit more mileage in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment