Friday 18 March 2016

First step back

So that is it, milestone complete.

This morning I trained without a plate in my shoulder for the first time in nearly four months. My body is officially back to normal. Almost.

Today was a big moment because it was the first real test of what my soulder is going to feel like post plate removal. I wan't really sure what to expect. Was it going to still hurt, was it going to feel like normal, somewhere in between? During day to day activities I have been quite happy with how normal my shoulder has felt, but how was it going to hold up to the sustained load of cycling.

Well I am very pleased to say that is felt fairly close to normal. Perhaps a little bit stiff, but not much. Certainly no extra pain, I wasn't having to periodically stretch and move it like I did when the plate was in. I am quite sure that any soreness I felt will pass with time as my body reaquaints itself with exercise.

It is a big box ticked.

Having passed that first hurdle I am keen to get on with some more. We were at the pool this afternoon for my daughter's swimming lesson and I was very tempted to give swimming a go. However, I still have stitches in my shoulder and so am a cautious about exposing it to pool water. Certainly in the past the Doctor's orders have bee to avoid it. I figure I am best applying the same approach this time around.

After the success of this morning I am keen to get back out on the bike tomorrow morning. I will have to wait and see on that one though. The rain that was forecast for this morning didn't eventuate, however, the rain forecast for tomorrow morning is a bit more authoritive. It could be a trainer session after all. Like yesterday I am still a ways off feeling comfortable on wet roads.

See what the morning brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment