Monday 14 September 2015

Welcome return

Well dinner last night didn't disappoint. I may have diverged from my diet by more than 5% but boy was it worth it. Although perhaps I didn't go outside the 5% by that much, I mean how bad can courses containing mushrooms cooked with blue cheese and donuts with condensed milk ice cream be...

Anywhoooo, moving on from food that is delicious and almost certainly, probably, almost healthy, I did some cycling today, on a bike and everything. Good session too, perfect weather after the rain of the weekend, nice temperature, officially zero wind, really nice. It is one of the first sessions I have had for a while where I have felt something approaching normal. Last Thursday it felt like I finally turned a corner with my cold, waking up feeling like I have energy and physically up for a session. That feeling continued on the weekend and this morning I woke up feeling good and the ride reflected that. I managed to get around the Swan River loop nice and briskly, slotted in a few efforts, all good really.

A few other racing type activities done today to make me feel like life is slowly returning to normal. First thing was a pretty simple one, putting in an order to Hammer Nutrition. Nothing remarkable about that really except that it means that I have enough plans around racing and training to require nutrition, which a nice milestone. The other interesting thing about the order is the why of it. For the last little while I have been using the Caffe Latte flavoured Perpetuem, which, perhaps unsurprisingly, contains caffeine. As I have mentioned a couple of times now, part of the advice I was given around the heart palpitations was to reduce my caffeine intake. This advice has meant that I now need a new flavour of Perpetuem, which is really unfortunate because I quite like the Caffe Latte flavour. Oh well that is the way of things I guess. I also took the opportunity to grab a couple of the other Hammer supplements which I haven't tried before as well as stock up on Gels and Bars etc. Quite keen to see how it all goes when it arrives.

The other thing I did today was to enter the Rottnest Long Course Triathlon, which is this race

Rottnest Long Course

This is a race that was on my schedule for quite some time early in the year, so much so that I actually entered it a little while ago. However, a change of race schedule meant that I withdrew from it to instead focus on Challenge Taiwan. However, with all that has been going on Daryl and I thought it would be good to give myself a chance build back slowly into racing and the Rottnest Long Course is a perfect way to do that. Having to change plans around Challenge Taiwan is disappointing, but at the same time, part of me is pumped to be able to put Rottnest back on the Schedule. I am really looking forward to this one. It should be a unique race, right on my doorstep and a lot of fun too. Nifty.

No more training today and a sleep in tomorrow morning on top of that. I briefly thought about using the morning off to head down to the pool for the Swim Smooth Tuesday session, which I really enjoy, but in the end I thought I would stick to the program and get some rest. Nothing like falling into the classic athlete cliche of trying to do too much to quickly when returning to racing fitness. Plenty of time to do this properly instead.

A very interesting run session on the cards for tomorrow, but more on that then.


No comments:

Post a Comment