Friday 5 June 2015

Not to plan

Shorter blog tonight. My laptop is currently driving me a little crazy, so I have been forced to write this on my phone, which I am not a big fan of.

In the context of the rest of my day, writing this on a phone is the least of my worries. So far this trip has not exactly gone smoothly. Far from it in fact.

Today I had some good news and bad news. The good news was that my bike turned up. The bad news is that the hydraulic brake line to the front brake had failed in transit. When you pack a P5 it is very hard to not kink this brake line. Do it enough times and the line fails, which is exactly what happened this time. He upshot of this is that I have no front brake, on a course where I will certainly need it.

Panic stations.

Actually it hasn't been too much panic. There was a bit this morning before I headed to the expo to try find a mechanic. Unfortunately there were none there and there won't be any available until tomorrow, which wasn't that reassuring at the time. However, the organisers have been great and it looks like the required parts will be available at transition tomorrow. It is a bit of a leap of faith at the moment but I don't have a lot of choice.

Once that conclusion was reached we decided instead to do some touring. So we headed up to Nagoya to have a look around. A bit of a bustling metropolis without being massive. Any city with a castle is okay by me.

Training wise I had a run this morning and had planned to have a ride this afternoon. Even after I discovered the brake problem I thought it would still be a good chance to go riding. However around lunch it started to rain and it hasn't really stopped. Riding in the rain with only one brake on carbon rims didn't seem like a good idea. Hopefully it clears tomorrow and I have a chance to get out on the bike.

Speaking of tomorrow that is when all the fun begins. Tomorrow we have registration, a briefing and bike racking, plus I have a frantic search for a mechanic to do.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment