Saturday 6 June 2015

Japan 70.3 race eve

Well here we are again, another race and another race eve. I sit here with everything finally done for the day. Well very close anyway.

It has been a busy day, but with the way this day has been organised it was always going to be. On the agenda today was getting registered, a briefing and bike racking. The whole deal made just that little bit later in the day by not starting until 10:30am. Oh well, there wasn't much we could do about it.

The later start meant that we had time to head down for an early trip to the swim start to spend a bit of time on the course with Stef. Seemed fine enough, water visibility wasn't great and there was no course marked, but other than that, nothing really to report there. The water was quite chilly too and gave me a serious case of the shivers afterwards. All I can say is that I hope it is a wetsuit swim tomorrow.

After that it was back to base to get the bike ready and then head down to the registration/briefing process. There was a fair bit of waiting involved in all that, but that is not unusual. Got through in the end though.

Once that was all done it was time for the main event, getting to the mechanics at T1 to see if I could get my brakes fixed. We finally got down there around 2:00pm.

Amazingly once we got there, the process was really easy. The mechanic I spoke to last night, Shoji, had the parts and they really knew their stuff. An hour later and it was all done. We killed the time meeting some fellow competitors and watching the Ironkids racing, which is always a lot of fun.

After the bike was fixed, it was time to go for a quick spin to make sure everything else was working, rack the bike, recce transition and then finally jump back on a bus to come back here. Done and dusted by 5:00pm. As I said a bit of a long day, but a successful one. I have always said I liked keeping busy the day before a race and today I certainly got that wish. Now I just need to pack for tomorrow, get some dinner and then finally head to bed.

Simple.

Time to race.

No comments:

Post a Comment