Wednesday 17 June 2015

More fun than...

What is more fun that doing a Wednesday morning swim session down with the Swim Smooth Squad. Doing one by yourself of course.

Talk about an exercise in self discipline.

I think I have mentioned it before that Claremont Pool is currently closed for refurbishment. A shortage of alternative pool space led head coach Paul Newsome to give the squad a two week break if they wanted it. Conscious that not everybody would want it though, Paul also provided an alternative training program. This program provided a session from the Swim Smooth App for every squad session that usually would have occurred during the two week break.

Breaking out the App always reminds me of what a great product it is with a such a wide variety of training sessions, drills etc available.. I know I have said this before, but if you haven't checked out the free 48 hour trial of the App, you should give it a go. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Anyway, being a Wednesday, this morning was all about the longer stuff, with a bit of shorter sharper  stuff thrown in. Basically three sets of 6 x 100m, each set followed by a longer effort, first 400m, then 800m and finally 1200m. I won't lie, it didn't feel great. I think it is just the little bit of a break I have had since Japan (although I did swim last Friday). Whatever the reason, the body was not happy about the session. I got through in the end, although I did have to cut it a bit short due to an early work commitment. But I covered the gist of it.

Feeling good otherwise, it was good to get out and do a solid swim by myself. I do think there is a lot of value in getting out of the squad environment and pushing your own water now and then. Gives you a better understanding of your true capabilities, where you really are at. Can be a fairly painful experience too unfortunately, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not all the time anyway.

Now that the swim is done, it is time for the bike this afternoon. When I say bike I really mean trainer, since Perth is having a bout of winter at the moment. Not a bad thing, I should probably be jumping on the trainer about now anyway.

More bike time in the morning too. Whether this bike session ends up being on the road or the trainer will really depend on what weather decides to turn up in the morning. Either options are good ones though.


No comments:

Post a Comment