Saturday 20 June 2015

Crushing

Yesterday I mentioned that I wasn't sure if this morning's ride would end up being on the trainer or on the road. In the end I reached a sort of compromise. I did the ride on the road, but I did it on my trainer bike, rather than expose either the race bike or the new S5 to the wet, sandy roads.

Very glad I made that call in the end. Whilst I don't think I really got rained on, the bike still ended up filthy from all the road spray and sand etc. Nice to not have exposed one of the newer bikes to that.

It was a very solid ride that went okayish. It got off to a bumpy start when I was 4km from home and realised that I had forgotten my nutrition again. I have made the mistake before of thinking I would be okay without nutrition and I wasn't going to make that mistake a second time, so when I realised I turned around and went home to grab some. Once that particular little detour was behind me I got on with the rest of the ride. The ride had a series of hill repeats followed by two 40 minute efforts. It is a session I have done a few times now and I know from experience that it is about my current limit. To get through it properly takes about everything I have. Unfortunately today I did not have it. I got through the hills repeats and the first effort quite well, but the second one was total painville. By the time I rolled back into my house I was pretty much done. Whilst it was disappointing to not nail the session, it is these really tough days out that you know are doing you good. If nothing else I should sleep well tonight.

Tomorrow morning I have a bit of a brick session. I say a bit of a brick because it deliberately doesn't include a lot of running. This will be my first run session since Japan and as such it is really a bit of a test to see how the foot is holding up. From where I am sitting I think the recovery of the foot is going well, it certainly seems mostly pain free. But tomorrow will be the real test. Hopefully it goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment