Tuesday 24 December 2013

One more sleep

The excitement in my household is certainly running high. I know a particular four year old who is pretty pumped for tomorrow. I suspect it could be an early morning for us all.

But that is all tomorrow, today I have some more work to get through and then some training. We are heading home early today, so my afternoon will be made up by time on the bike and then a bit of a run. A nice way to head into the holidays.

Should be an interesting session this afternoon. I am heading out and doing some hill repeats on the bike, which I haven't done for a while. The bike course in the Albany Half Ironman is hillyish. Well it has a couple of big hills in it, the rest is pretty flat. So my ride this afternoon will involve a bit of time in King's Park, getting some time on the hills. 1200m is the magic number, that is how long the first hill is in Albany, top to bottom. So that is what I will be trying to replicate. I suspect it might hurt a bit.

After that I have a short run off the bike. This is the bit I am most nervous about. My hamstring has improved a lot and is feeling much better, I can get through a full range of normal movement without pain. I have taken a few test jogging steps and one again, no pain. However, at extreme ranges of movement it is still a bit tender. I am pretty nervous about running on it, I still don't really have much faith in it, but I think that isn't unusual after an injury. I will need to run on it and have it not hurt for me to really believe. I think it will be fine, but I am planning on being pretty gentle. Plus if there is any pain I will be stopping and walking home. Fingers crossed there is no pain.

My double swim went pretty okay yesterday. I realised that I made a mistake in yesterday's post when I said I had never done a double swim day. When I was a teenager and a swimmer we used to do double swim days most days of the week. Probably more accurate to say I haven't done a double swim since starting triathlon. Still even when I was a swimmer I think we rarely covered the miles that I did yesterday. I was pretty okay until the last km or so, I started to fade a bit towards the end. All up though it was a solid day of training.

Just got a very welcome phone call. The replacement pod for my Garmin Vectors has just arrived at Churchill Cycles. Very, very prompt service from both Churchill and Garmin there, it was only ordered yesterday. Hopefully I will be back training with power in no time.



No comments:

Post a Comment