Wednesday 9 October 2019

The right thing

Doing the smart thing again, this is the second time in 5 days. I have to be careful, it is becoming a habit.

Being smart this time around relates to my lat again. I had a catch up with the physio on Monday and he confirmed that the lat isn't anything major, but he also said that a bit of rest would really help it if I could manage it.

After the appointment on Monday I followed my usual training routine which didn't involve any paddling on Tuesday. The break helped but I have to admit that by last night I was still pretty sore.

This morning I made the call to go for a run instead of paddling, the run happened to be really good, however more importantly it gave the lat a bit more time to heal. I am really glad I made the call because by this afternoon my lat has started feeling loads better. Not 100% yet, but I have way more range and a lot less pain. Pretty confident that I will be feeling fairly good by the morning.

Given the improvement today, I was worried that heading out for a paddle tonight I might undo all the good healing I have been doing, so I thought the smart thing would be to rest this afternoon and see how things are feeling in the morning. Given how I am feeling now, I am quietly confident that I will be feeling better again in the morning.

While missing a few sessions has certainly been frustrating, I know that if I can knock this niggle on the head now, rather than having it hang around for the next couple of weeks that it will be much better in the long run.

Sometimes doing the smart thing is definitely the right way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment