Saturday 5 October 2019

Sensible?

I think I have been sensible today. I know I am as shocked as you are.

As I mentioned during the week, I have a race tomorrow. So far taper week has been going pretty well, I think I have walked the line between maintaining fitness and tapering fairly well and am in a position to race about as well as I am likely too tomorrow.

The only real blemish on my taper is that I have developed a bit of a niggle. I have had a a few tender spots on my back for a couple of weeks now. Not spine type pain, but more muscle soreness, so nothing too bad. However, when paddling on Thursday I got a real tweak in my right lat. I didn't worry about it too much at the time, little tweaks etc are not uncommon. However, over Thursday it was pretty sore. I went out and paddled again Friday morning and while I was able to make it through the session, it wasn't pain free. I will admit that during the session I was second guessing whether training was actually a good idea. Not sure that bit was sensible.

The plan for today was to head out for a shortish paddle. A bit of a sharpen up session before the race tomorrow. However, I can't deny that the lat is sorer than I would like. I think it will be okay for tomorrow, but I am keen to give it every opportunity. Pretty sure it is just a bit of a minor muscle strain, so the sort of thing that will recovery pretty quickly, but I have to give it a chance to do so. With that in mind I thought it would be best to give it a rest today so instead of going for a paddle I went for a run instead. Not exactly the training that I wanted to do, but a good bit of training all the same. Hopefully the extra rest will help for the race in the morning.

Pretty happy with the decision in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment