Thursday 13 December 2018

Returning

Earlier this week I returned to weights training and today the week of returns continues, in fact today will actually be a double return.

The first return is that I will be going for a run this afternoon. It will be a very short and very slow run, but it will be running all the same.

With the focus of the last few weeks being on paddleboard races I decided to let running slip off my weekly schedule as I was spending the afternoons either tapering or doing more race specific training (or sometimes actually racing). With the races now largely done, it is time to get back into the habit of running (or more accurately jogging).

Despite my rather sporadic relationship with running, I have learnt to quite enjoy it over the years. In terms of time efficient exercise it simply can't be beat and when it comes to building fitness there just seems to be something about running that you can't replicate elsewhere. It can be great for building that last 5 or 10% of fitness, even if you are concentrating on another sport. Very effective cross training, which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

The goal for today will simply be an easy 20 minutes jog. That doesn't sound like much (and it isn't), but I always find it is worth being a little conservative when you return to running in order to avoid injury. However, if I can manage to do that a couple of times a week for a few weeks I will be looking to start building the volume again. No marathon training here, but it would be good to get back up to that 10km ish distance.

The second return for this week will be a return to run coaching this afternoon. Between races, race specific training  and squad breaks for Busso I haven't managed to coach the Stadium run session for a few weeks now, actually I think it is nearly a month. I really like coaching that session and so it will be great to get back there today, even if it is the last session of the year.

For today I thought I might go a little bit Christmasy, with a sort of 12 days of Christmas special. The idea will be to start at 1200m and work down to 100m, sort of like a drawn out Mona Fartlek. It will actually be quite a long session, but I think it will be achievable in the time we have if we don't mess around, about 8km all up. Will be nice to have a festive focus for the session, although I think it is actually going to be pretty tough. Should be fun.

Ho, ho, ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment