Sunday 23 September 2018

Satisfying

What a weekend. Just a little bit tired today. 

Following on from the long ride on Friday I have had two pretty solid days of training. The session yesterday was unexpectedly tough to the point that the session this morning was a bit of a sufferfest. I started the session with serious questions whether I would be able to put together a quality training session, or whether I would instead just be doing junk miles. In the end I think I managed to put together 90 minutes of reasonable quality, that is my view anyway and I am going to stick to it. Either way I made it through though the training and am feeling rather satisfied with myself as a result. 

On top of all the exercise we have also have a pretty satisfying weekend around the house, getting a solid amount of necessary housework and DIY done. Not glamorous for sure, but jobs that needed doing and that we have been putting off for a while. On top of all that the weather this weekend has been absolutely glorious. After a fairly solid winter the weather has definitely turned and we are now getting a chance to enjoy the best of Perth's weather. A weekend to feel good about. 

However, as good as the training and the housework and weather has been, the best thing about this weekend is that it isn't over yet. No, this weekend has a bit more to give because tomorrow is a public holiday in Perth which means we have a bit more weekending to do. Winning.

At the moment the plan is to use this extra day to squeeze a bit more of the same into our weekend. More exercise, more DIY and just generally more relaxing and enjoying wonderful spring days. 

On the training front, my current fatigue means that tomorrow morning is going to be a nice easy recovery session. I am going to need it because theoretically I have a paddle race in the afternoon. I say theoretically because for a number of reasons it may not be much of a race and may be more of a training session. Reason one is that I am pretty tired and I may just be a bit too fatigued to really put much of a race together. I will see of course, but based on what I am feeling now I could well be feeling a bit flat by tomorrow afternoon. Reason two is that the race is out on the ocean and will, therefore, be a bit technical, which is not exactly my strong suit. In fact technical racing is far from my strong suit and tomorrow is really going to be a bit of a suck it and see experience. Given that, tomorrow may be more about survival and learning than actual racing for me. However, technical racing is something I want to get better at and there comes a point where there is nothing to be done but go out and give it a try. It might well suck for the first few races, but everybody has to start somewhere. 

I have always said that I won't let fear of the unknown stop me from trying new things, seize the day and all that. That mantra held true for me in triathlon and it holds true for most other areas of my life and i have to say it hasn't really done me wrong. Seize the day is what the race tomorrow is going to be all about. 

It will be nice if it doesn't suck too much though....


No comments:

Post a Comment