Monday 25 June 2018

N + 1

As I have been dealing with this current cold I have written about the advice I was given by a coach years ago about returning to training, "Wait until you feel well and then wait one more day". N + 1 I guess you could say. Well I think my N + 1 was today.

Actually if I am being completely accurate I think it was yesterday. Sunday was the first day in about a week where I woke up and felt that exercise was a real legitimate option. Not a lot of exercise and not strenuous, but something. In fact I was kind of keen to get out there. I would take that as Day 1. If I am to follow my coach's advice then I should wait until the next day to go training, ie today. That would have been N + 1. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get out and train today and so that put that option out the window, but I am pretty sure I will get out there tomorrow, or at least that is the plan. The body feels like it is ready to give that a go.

Not that I am looking for anything earth shattering tomorrow. If I can get out for a paddle and get 30 minutes or so of easy work done then I will be ticking that off as a success. If I can make it out there for an hour then I will counting that as a major coup. That would pretty much do me for the day.

I am keen to return to more regular and extensive exercise, but one step at a time. I think getting out for one training session tomorrow will about do me. Getting to the point where I am training twice a week will have to wait for a while. While I am keen to rebuild fitness as quickly as possible, I am not quite at the point where I think I can smash out a bunch of training without paying the price. A good sleep tonight, a bit of exercise tomorrow and then re-evaluate. Take it from there.

Step one, a good sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment