Wednesday 23 May 2018

One down

Running ended up better than expected yesterday, a good place to start off from for my mates 40km for 40 years birthday celebration in about 50 days time.

In the end I knocked over 7km in about 31 minutes, which was a little quicker than I intended, but a good place to start nonetheless. Still, as I mentioned yesterday my goal is to be running 20km again, which if I do my math correctly is rather a bit more than 7km. Yes the 20km will be done at a slower pace than my 7 from yesterday, however, I suspect that won't matter too much at this stage in my fitness. 20km might well as be the moon at this stage, it doesn't matter how slowly I run it, the end result is unlikely to be a good one. Still, I will take this as a starting point.

The challenge will now be backing that 7km up with another 30 minute run tomorrow. Given how well the run went yesterday it is tempting to make the run tomorrow a bit longer, but I am going to try and resist that urge and stick to the plan for now. 3 x 30 min this week to start off slowly and then things can build from there. I will plan to make the run a little bit slower tomorrow too. I was quite pleased with the pace of the run yesterday, but I was working unnecessarily hard, I don't need to be killing myself on these runs, just building capacity. I need to take my own advice and remember that not every run has to be hard.

Actually this slow run build is a great chance for me to be practicing what I preach about variation in running intensities, not doing too much too quickly, varying running surfaces etc. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a case of do as I say, rather than do as I do.

Actually the run tomorrow may take care of itself as there is a good chance I will be on a treadmill. The forecast tomorrow is for all kinds of misery to hit the city in the afternoon and so if that happens I might be retreating to an indoor run session. I will wait and see what weather actually turns up but given the glorious autumn we have had so far, the weather has to turn nasty sooner or later, I suspect it will be a lot sooner than later at the moment. I find the treadmill a bit dull, but I don't mind it now and then and it can make for a nice bit of variation, so if the foul weather forces me indoors then it won't be the end of the world.

One run session down, just a few more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment