Monday 16 April 2018

A day of unknowns

After the franiticness of the weekend today has been a return to a slightly more sedate pace. Sort of anyway.

Today was almost a bit dull compared to the busy weekend we had, just a normal day at work with a bit of exercise thrown in for good measure. However, as is often the way nothing is ever straight forward and today was no different.

The slight difference today is that I have just moved office in my day job. When I say moved office I mean we have moved to an entirely new building. That sounds so mundane that I am slightly bored just typing it, but as with any change it has been a slightly stressful experience.

The move hasn't been hard and has been very well managed, but any change brings unknowns and today's change has bought its own share. The unknowns aren't significant, litte things like getting to the new office, getting lunch, the dynamic of the new office set up, all those little things. Nothing big or a problem, but just little hurdles to overcome. A day full of those little unknowns can make for a tiring day.

The extra hassle associated with this move is that I no longer have easy access to a gym (my old office had one). That means a bit of extra hassle to fit in my usual training. I have a plan for doing my strength work at home, but I have to actually get on with doing so. Once again, not a big hassle, but just another change to figure out. Hassle.

I am well aware that I am a sucker for a having a plan and minimising unknowns, this means that I can sometimes make a mountain out of a mole hill. But still, I find days like today to be a real pain, even though none of the unknowns were really that much of a problem. I am looking forward to the new office becoming the norm over the coming week and things settling into routine again.

At least one thing wasn't different today and that was spending a bit of time out paddling this morning. I nearly didn't get up because I hadn't slept that well and was tired, but as usual I had a great paddle and so I am very glad that I got out in the end. It is so often the case that once you get out the door it is all worth it.

I am expecting to be dealing with a few more unknowns over the coming week, but one thing that will remain constant will be that regular exercise will feature prominently. That is one element of my routine that will not be compromised.

No comments:

Post a Comment