Saturday 3 February 2018

Splashdown

Given it seems to be a week of doing things that I haven't done for a while, I thought I would continue the theme and try having a swim this morning.

The plan for the morning was to head down to the pool with some mates as I have done previously over the last few months. In the past for these sessions I have done very little swimming instead spending time doing a bit more coaching. However, today I felt like giving the actual swimming part more of a go, which is just what I did.

The swim was pretty modest if I am honest, but at the same time I was pretty happy to get through what I did. I ended up completing 2500m in the end which I am quite happy with given it was my first proper swim in months and months.

To my surprise the swim didn't actually feel that bad. I certainly fatigued out earlier than I would have in the past, but other than that the swimming didn't feel that uncomfortable or strange. My guess is that with the paddling I have been doing, the swimming muscles have had a reasonable amount of use over the last 10 months or so, so swimming wasn't too much of a shock to them. Still, it didn't take much for me to find my swimming limit. 2500m was probably about as much distance as I had in me and similarly anything longer than 200m would have been a challenge. Even the 200s we did were a bit of an effort. Still it was great to be in the pool and swimming with a bit of intent. I was event pleasantly surprised by the pace, sitting pretty comfortably under 1:30min/100m pace. True I couldn't have held the pace for anything over 100m and I was drafting like nothing else but I was pleasantly surprised all the same.

Whether or not I manage more swimming in the coming weeks we shall have to wait and see. Like the cycling I did on Thursday, there is no real focus for these sessions, other than getting out and doing what I enjoy, but still I enjoyed today enough to want to do more. I am up in Darwin next week for work and while that will make many forms of exercise difficult, I am hopeful that one form of exercise that might be possible is swimming in one of  the local pools. Hard to know for sure as these work trips tend to be very busy, but that will certainly be the intent. Have to wait and see I guess.

One thing is for sure, I don't think it will be 10 months until my next proper swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment