Thursday 1 February 2018

Back in the saddle

Something amazing happened to me today. I went cycling.

Okay, perhaps amazing is overstating it, but it was great to be back in the saddle and riding around.

Being the realist that I am I didn't try and do too much today, opting for about an hour of riding. Starting off small I guess you could say. All the same I think about an hour is all I probably had in me in the end.

The ride I had wasn't all that demanding, but at the same time it wasn't all that easy either, laps around King's Park. 320m of elevation gain over 30km of riding isn't a bad start in my books.


By the last hill though my legs were telling me in no uncertain terms that they would be happy if there were no more hills, which luckily there wasn't

Still it was great to be back on the bike and riding at my own speed, doing my own thing. Getting out and just riding for the sake of it is really what I love about the sport. My original plan had been to get in some running, but my knees aren't all that happy about that at the moment and so I thought I would give a bit of cycling a go instead. Given how tonight's ride went and how much fun I had I am hopeful that I will be able to get out for rides more often during the week. Plus I have such nice bikes it is a pity to see them just sitting there getting dusty, it was great to roll them out and use them as intended.

At the moment there is no real aim behind the cycling other than gaining a bit of fitness and perhaps losing a bit more weight, but as I gain fitness who knows. I am not sure how I would feel about competing in triathlons again, and even whether I would be able to do so safely, but I like the idea of rebuilding some of my triathlon fitness just in case. In the meantime though I am more than happy heading out on the bike and doing a bit of what I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment