Thursday 4 January 2018

A bit more information

Yesterday I mentioned the benefits that gym work can have to endurance athletes. I have to say it is an area I don't have much expertise in, other than doing what I was told as an athlete. When athletes come to me as a coach seeking guidance in the area I usually defer to the knowledge of the experts.

Given my lack of knowledge on the topic my post last night was pretty vague, however, I realised today that it was probably a good idea to point interested people in the right direction. So for those interested in the application of strength work to drive improvement in endurance sport, have a look at this link on the Front Runner website:

Strength for Endurance athletes

I hope that helps.

Speaking of strength work, it turns out that my prediction of discomfort following on from my first gym session yesterday was pretty accurate. Not as sore as I have been at other times, but I suspect that is more due to me taking it pretty easy in my first session rather than any amount of conditioning on my behalf. Certainly some sore muscle groups at the moment which was more or less as expected. It should make the gym session tomorrow pretty interesting. Still I will definitely be getting to the gym. Like most new forms of exercise it is going to get worse before it gets better, but it will only get better with consistency.

On the coaching side of things, tomorrow it will be back down to Claremont for the Swim Smooth Threshold session. This session will be another one where I am helping Coach Sal provide coverage while Paul is away on holiday. Next week Paul will be back on deck bright eyed and bushy tailed so tomorrow is our last session for a while. As always I really enjoy these sessions down the pool, both when Paul is there and when he is away. However, I am looking forward to having him back next week as it makes things just that bit easier. Having Paul back also lightens my coaching load, meaning I have a bit more time for myself and my family, which is always welcome.

Still, the session tomorrow should be a bunch of fun. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment