Tuesday 12 December 2017

Back on the bike

So this happened this morning.


I'm not sure, but I suspect this is the first ride I have been on for around 3 months or so. The bike was certainly dusty before I headed out, which is never a good thing. Once it was out and rolling though it didn't miss a beat. In fact I think it might have been a bit excited to get back out on the road and get on with things.

Whilst it was great to be back on the bike, I did strongly resist the urge to overdo things. As I mentioned yesterday, the permission I got from my cardiologist to gradually increase my exercise was hardly license to go crazy. As such this morning was an easy 50 minutes of cycling with the Front Runner Triathlon Team. Well at least I was riding easy, the squad were all doing efforts and I sat back and watched and did a bit of coaching. I am keen to build the riding from there, but I am not sure how far I will try and build it, really it will it depend a bit on my body. I suspect the days of 200km rides out in the hills might be behind me. 

I have to say it was great to be back on the bike. My power meter wasn't playing along, but other than that it was like I had never left the bike. Even the riding didn't feel that hard, although it didn't take much of a hill to get my heart rate moving again. Fitness is certainly not on my side.

While the riding was great, I think for tomorrow I will be back down the river for a bit more paddling. Paddling the board is still a good match for what I can do at the moment, being quite time efficient and not that intensive, whilst also being fun. I may take the opportunity to paddle a bit further tomorrow than I have been, but once again, the intent will be to not over do things. 

I am certainly excited about the prospect of doing a bit more exercise again, but gently, gently is the phrase of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment