Sunday 25 June 2017

Spectating

Some good news and some busy times today. Actually, in many ways today was very similar to yesterday.

The good news bit is heart related. Like yesterday, today I did some exercise and it went well. Today's exercise was an hour of steady running. I started off pretty easy and picked it up a little over the run and in the 13km that I covered I didn't get any tachycardia. In fact the running just felt plain good, which was a massive relief. I was pretty tentative heading into the run, since that is the activity that tends to stress my heart the most, but in the end it was fine. So big tick there. I am still being very watchful and taking it fairly easy, but the signs are looking good so far.

The other bit of busyness today was this:


This was my daughter playing in a hockey tournament. She is only 7 and so they don't have many formal games and the games aren't really that formal (no score keeping etc), but once a year they do have an interclub carnival to expose the kids to actual game play. That carnival was today. It was pretty full on actually, across the morning she played 5 x 20 minute matches, which is pretty exhausting if you think of it. She was certainly shattered by the end of it.

Whilst I say there is no score keeping, there really is and I am pleased to say that my daughter's team won 4 out of their 5 games. It was also great to see the spirit in which the games were played. All the kids played well together, they shared the ball and looked out for each other. There was no angry parents or overbearing coaches. All up it was really a lot of fun, for both me and my daughter. In little coaching training that I have done it is always emphasized to us just how important fun is in kids sport and that was really on display today. The kids played hard and gave it everything, but in the end it was all about having some fun.

Now that this weekend is drawing to a close, my attention is now turning to the coming week. This week is going to be an exciting one because for the first time in absolutely ages our little family unit is going on holiday. This is the first time that I can recall in recent history that my family will be getting on a plane without a race destination as the stop. We are all pretty excited. For the holiday we are heading to Darwin to catch up with my parents and have a wander around our old neighbourhoods, perhaps even do some training up there. I am really looking forward to it.

The count down is on. 4 sleeps to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment