Saturday 2 January 2016

Shaky

A good day today with a big step taken in my return to normal training. The session was a 120km ride through the hills with the guys from Break Your Limits. Other than a couple of of very nasty hills, the ride was quite low intensity. However, the low intensity was probably about right since I was more worried about lasting the distance than anything. In the end I got through the ride quite comfortably which was a great confidence boost.  Plus the shoulder seemed to hold up fine which was also very welcome. The legs are fairly roasted now, but that is to be expected.

The one thing that surprised me during the ride was just how little confidence I had on the bike. Riding on Thursday I felt a little tentative, but generally okay. However, today I just couldn't relax. The ride today was very windy and part way through it started raining (a little unexpected). The rain, combined with the wind, got straight into my head and hit my confidence for a six. After that it was game over, every round about I was slowing down to a crawl. Every down hill I was sitting on the brakes. I was so glad to finally get out of the hills and back onto the flat. I guess this jitteriness on the bike is to be expected, but I was very surprised to see just how much it effected me. I was genuinely uncomfortable during parts of the session.

Good to get the session done though.

The tentative plans for the morning is to get a bit of a walk done, possibly a little bit of a ride first. However, I may end up doing nothing, I will see. Tomorrow is exactly one month since my surgery and have been getting reminded today that one month is not very long. This week has been a very good week of training, but I have possibly been getting a little bit carried away. I will see how I sleep tonight and how I feel in the morning. But it may well be that recovery is the best sort of training I can do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment