Sunday 1 February 2015

Busselton Olympic Distance

Phew, it has been a long day, starting with the Busselton Olympic Distance triathlon and finishing with a several hours of driving to get home.

But home I am.

It is late and I am tired so I will do a more detailed write up tomorrow. But for now, here is how the race went in a nutshell.

It went well. I came 7th over all which I am quite happy about. I also did a PB for the Olympic Distance (2 hours and 14 seconds) which I am also happy about. Unfortunately I didn't quite crack 2 hours, missing it by 14 seconds, which is just close enough to be really annoying. Still stoked with the time given the conditions on the day. There is no doubt that this is a fast course, but with massive winds blowing (30 to 40km/h with gusts up to 50km/h) and a non wetsuit swim, the conditions were not on our side for a fast day, so very happy that I managed a PB.

Also pleased with how I paced the race out. I may not be able to run 36 minutes, but I can swim under 20, ride under an hour and run under 40. That is a balanced race in my books.

Certain things could have gone better, like being 15 seconds quicker for one, and holding off a little bit more on the bike to save it for the run, but over all I am very pleased with how the race went. It was quite satisfying being able to mix it in the open field. There were some solid competitors there, and as I often say, I am not all that well suited to the distance, it is just a little bit too quick for me.

On the topic of quick, racing some of the ITU guns really opened my eyes, particularly on the swim. I consider myself a good swimmer, I would back myself in any long course field. But today, I got left in the wake. I didn't make any mistakes, no excuses, I was on toes and simply didn't have the pace. It was impressive to watch, although not at the time.

Anyway, that will do for tonight. More details tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment